Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Washing up liquid

AT THE check-out in the supermarket this afternoon, whiling away time as you do, while the queue moves slowly forward to the pulsating peep, peep, peep of the bar code reader - I noticed that the couple in front of me had bought washing up liquid. Whether this was before or after the till girl rang for assistance, standing and holding up a box of Durex contoured condoms, to ask the price - I can't remember. I can only remember how glad I was that it wasn't me. Anyway, back to the washing up liquid - Some bright spark had thought to call it 'Exotic Washing Up Liquid'.
What is exotic about washing up? It certainly isn't in our house. Even if the liquid smelt of Caribbean islands, Chanel No 5 or passion fruit salad, washing up would not be exotic. In any case it convinced the couple up front. Let's hope the condoms do too. A sort of exotic, erotic shopping trip. Who would have thought that a visit to the local Lidl could offer so much. Struck by curiosity I was dying to rush back and find out what 'exotic' smells like but I was trapped by the trolley behind me. Another day perhaps... or there again, perhaps not.

No comments: